Going abroad with Fido

When traveling abroad with your dog, it is important to know the requirements for entry into different countries. In Denmark, most countries require that your dog has a dog passport if it is traveling with you. Here are some of the most important things you need to know when traveling with your dog.

What is a dog passport?

A dog passport is documentation of your dog’s health and vaccination status. This passport is required when traveling with your dog to other countries. It contains information about your dog’s identity, vaccinations, and any health issues. You can get a dog passport from your veterinarian.

Which countries require a dog passport?

All EU countries require a dog passport for entry. In addition, the following countries also require a dog passport: Andorra, the Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, and Vatican City State.

What do I need to do to get a dog passport?

To get a dog passport, your dog must have a microchip, be vaccinated against rabies, and undergo a health check by a veterinarian. If your dog has not been vaccinated against rabies, it must be vaccinated at least 21 days before travel.

The health check includes a clinical examination of your dog to ensure that it is healthy and free of signs of infectious diseases. The veterinarian will also check your dog’s vaccination status and ensure that it is up-to-date with all required vaccinations, including rabies.

Your dog’s microchip number must also be recorded in the dog passport so that your dog can be identified if it gets lost from you during travel. Finally, the veterinarian may review your dog’s medical history and ask about any current medications or health conditions to ensure that your dog is fit to travel.


If you plan to travel with your dog abroad, it is important to ensure that your dog has a dog passport and meets all the entry requirements for the country you are visiting. You can get further information about dog passport requirements and traveling with dogs from your veterinarian or the relevant embassy or consulate.